Plant Pathology Section was established in June 1982 with the following objectives:
1. To conduct the disease survey for incidence, distribution, identification of diseases of sugarcane and estimation of losses in yield and quality of cane caused by different diseases.
2. To produce the disease free cane seed through heat therapy under a three-tier seed nursery program.
3. To evolve the methods of plant protection through disease management approaches and their adoption.
4. To develop awareness regarding the diseases of sugarcane and their management.
5. To study the biochemical changes brought about by various diseases/pathogens of sugarcane causing damage and maintenance of cultures.
6. To screen the varieties of sugarcane against diseases for evaluation of disease-resistant varieties.